Cats Paw Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The cat's Paw Island forums.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Hello everyone. Because these forums are no longer being moderated, we have disabled posting for members. You will still be able to read posts, but not create, edit, or delete your own. You can find our new forums here: http://catspawisland.boards.net/ If you require any help, feel free to address an administrator in chat, or privately message one on our new boards. Thank you!

Non-English languages rule - proposal

Go down 
+7
HolyKitten
Oxymoron
Lux
Indigo
Jäger
Ness
Murdoc
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Murdoc
Newborn
Newborn
Murdoc

Main Character Bio.
Name: Bucket

Non-English languages rule - proposal Empty
PostSubject: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 5:06 pm

While I understand this rule was put in place to help the administration do its job, as admins tend to be English-speakers, I feel that it's doing more harm than good.

My first point I'd like to make is that I feel like it's kinda rude, you know? Some people just aren't strong English-speakers, and sometimes people like to talk to their friends in their native languages. That in and of itself is not harmful or problematic.

I've seen people enter rooms and ask in their preferred language if other users in the room speak it, and people are quick to jump on them and treat them very rudely for not speaking English because "it's in the rules", and when the reply is "I don't speak English well" people tell them to leave/go away/too bad etc, and it's generally not nice. Nobody should be forced to leave a chatsite for something like that, and of course demanding someone leave the room has always been frowned upon.

As for the issue where people will be rude to others in their native language, they should just be punished like that on a case-by-case basis, and not poor English speakers entirely punished just because someone said something mean in French once. Plus, if the issue is being reported to you, Google translate is usually ample enough to get the gist of what's being said and you can warn the people to knock it off because harassment is against the rules.

Besides, there's not a great many users that will use a language besides English, and it keeps people from being jerks to someone for saying hello in another language. That, and people will talk crap behind backs in English/in whisper anyways so having the rule to prevent that is sorta pointless, if that's what it is.

If you're willing to consider, I suggest just modifying the existing rule against harassment to make a point about using other languages to be rude to people, instead of banning other languages entirely.
Back to top Go down
Ness
Warrior
Warrior
Ness

Main Character Bio.
Name: Azu

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 5:18 pm

As I stated before...I definitely think this is a rule that should be modified.

Obviously there would be an issue with moderating users who speak another language, but I don't think those users come along enough for it to be a problem.
I'm interested to see what you guys think, either way.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Commander smelly paws
Commander smelly paws
Jäger

Main Character Bio.
Name: Eren Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Sadly, we put this rule in effect because people would constantly abuse it, sneaking their swears in with it.

We are discussing it currently, and are hoping to reach a decision soon.
Back to top Go down
Indigo
Literally Really Old
Indigo

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 5:56 pm

Ness wrote:
As I stated before...I definitely think this is a rule that should be modified.

Obviously there would be an issue with moderating users who speak another language, but I don't think those users come along enough for it to be a problem.
I'm interested to see what you guys think, either way.

Ness gets props for me for coming up with amazing points in chat and presenting them in a most eloquent manner
Back to top Go down
Lux
Senior Events member
Senior Events member
Lux

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 11:46 am

I remember talking to you about this the other day! Curious to see what is decided!
Back to top Go down
Oxymoron
Literally Really Old
Oxymoron

Main Character Bio.
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm curious too. I know you guys'll reach a fair decision.
Back to top Go down
HolyKitten
Senior Events member
Senior Events member
HolyKitten

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 7:12 pm

I've always wondered about this rule, waiting to see as to what you guys decide.
Back to top Go down
TwigTheCat
Cub
Cub
TwigTheCat

Main Character Bio.
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 pm

This sounds cool, maybe it could be an idea?
Back to top Go down
Indigo
Literally Really Old
Indigo

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Hello!

The team has been discussing this rule, and we've come to the following conclusion:

The rule itself will not be changed, as some members of administration are not comfortable with multiple languages being spoken in chat, and google translate proves ineffective in several situations. However, we will be taking the use of other languages on a case-by-case basis, and we are discussing the implementation of a couple 'all language' rooms.

Thank you much,
Indigo
Back to top Go down
HolyKitten
Senior Events member
Senior Events member
HolyKitten

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Indigo wrote:
Hello!

The team has been discussing this rule, and we've come to the following conclusion:

The rule itself will not be changed, as some members of administration are not comfortable with multiple languages being spoken in chat, and google translate proves ineffective in several situations. However, we will be taking the use of other languages on a case-by-case basis, and we are discussing the implementation of a couple 'all language' rooms.

Thank you much,
Indigo

Sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
Oxymoron
Literally Really Old
Oxymoron

Main Character Bio.
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 6:26 pm

Ahh, good idea.
Back to top Go down
Ness
Warrior
Warrior
Ness

Main Character Bio.
Name: Azu

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Sounds like a good compromise to me! Are you guys going to have specific rules for all language rooms though? Like, of course no harassing other users and possibly speaking English when it comes to reporting to admins or something?
Back to top Go down
Fai
Alpha
Alpha
Fai

Main Character Bio.
Name: Ankh

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Ness wrote:
Sounds like a good compromise to me! Are you guys going to have specific rules for all language rooms though? Like, of course no harassing other users and possibly speaking English when it comes to reporting to admins or something?

Yes we plan to continue to enforce the cursing limit (you cannot drop an fbomb in an all language room in another language) and you cannot harass/insult users in various languages. These rules have not been fully decided yet.
Back to top Go down
Lux
Senior Events member
Senior Events member
Lux

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 9:03 pm

This sounds different, I like it!
Back to top Go down
Norveg
Matured Feline
Matured Feline
Norveg

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 2:22 pm

I actually like this rule, but I got question while reading.
If an admin is the only admin in a room, and there is a user there speaking in a language that said admin knows fluently, would the admin be able to let it slide if they knew nothing bad was being said using case-to-case basis?
Back to top Go down
AutumnRain
Crazy cat lady in the making
Crazy cat lady in the making
AutumnRain

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 3:27 pm

I imagine it would be a personal preference of the individual administrator as to whether or not they wanted to be responsible for monitoring that second language. We wouldn't ask them to, so it wouldn't be an obligation.

We don't actually have fluently bilingual administrators right now, so this isn't an issue. However, if that changes I'm sure we'll bring it up for discussion. I know some members of the team are studying different languages.
Back to top Go down
Norveg
Matured Feline
Matured Feline
Norveg

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Makes sense. And yup, that's why I didn't know if it would be changed or not. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-English languages rule - proposal   Non-English languages rule - proposal Empty

Back to top Go down

Non-English languages rule - proposal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cats Paw Island :: Messages For the Keepers of the Land :: Suggestions :: Litter tray-
Jump to: